Sunday, October 7, 2012

Anniversary Post: 6 years of Marriage

If you haven't already noticed, I love my husband. A lot. So if other people talking about their love for one another grosses you out then look away, it's about to get real icky in here.

Today we celebrate 6 years of marriage, and in 2 months 8 years of being together. When we first met we were head over heals for each other. We both fell hard and were telling our friends that we were going to marry each other with no doubt in our minds. None.



2 years after we met we were tying the knot, and every year after that has been one of growth and love and tests. I know that most people looked at us when we first met and made bets about when the honeymoon phase would wear off. Not because they were being mean, but mostly because we were that obnoxiously in love. Something that good never lasts, at least not typically. Yet here we are with years behind us and still going strong. There were those who said "wait until you live together for "x" number of years." So we did, and have, and it's been great. Then those who said wait until you get married, everything changes. Then we did, and we are, and I still get excited to talk to Brent everyday. Then there were those who said just wait until the honeymoon is over. We waited, it came, and went, and here we are 6 years in and still we are filling our days with 'I love you' and kisses. And of course, the big one, just wait until you have kids. The kid is here, it's no walk in the park, but our marriage has never been stronger. And actually, we take lots of walks in the park....




I don't care if we are annoying or if people read this post and barf on their computer. Our relationship works because we want it to work. There have been times when we could have had 'blow out' fights but we respect each other too much to let that happen. Our relationship, while easier than most, is still something we work at every single day. We want it to work so it does. That's our big secret. We apologize to each other when we do something wrong. We talk things out when there is an issue (or Brent talks until I have no choice but to talk back). We are there for each other, no matter what.

Brent Weedman, I love you. I love that you are constantly introducing me to new things like music and food and life experiences. You push me to be a better person and to grow. I am so thankful for the respect you have for me and the love you have for your son. Thank you for letting me be my weird self and here is to many more year to come.



No comments:

Post a Comment