Monday, August 13, 2012

Animals

I was thinking the other day about our pets and William. I realized that more than likely these dogs and cats will be a foggy memory in Will's life. In reality they have been through so much with Brent and I that I can't imagine life without them. As they age I begin to wonder what Will is going to remember about them. I hope that he can get some fond memories with these guys before they pass on. And William, if that's not possible, let me tell you about our pets.

First it is important to understand that I love animals. Most people do, and If they don't then they are probably weirdos, but I like to think my affinity for them is different than most. I love animals so much that I have made a career out of caring for them, and I love my job. Thankfully your father loves animals too, and throughout the years he put up with me bringing home dogs and cats left and right. Most animals were fosters who were only with us briefly before going on to their forever homes, but some stuck.

Maki

When I moved in with your father Maki came with me. She had been abandoned at the animal hospital I worked at when she was only 8 weeks old. He came to my work and I brought her up to him and told him that she needed a home. She wrapped her little puppy dog arms around his neck and the rest is history. Maki has a special place in my heart. She is sweet and calm but doesn't go out of her way to make new friends. She loves the people she loves deeply and likes her routine. If something is askew she worries and frets. Maki has been with us from the beginning. She has made the move from apartment to apartment and house to house. She was sitting on the couch when your dad proposed and she was at my feet as we planned our wedding. When I took the pregnancy test to see if you were coming she paced the floor with me. She has sat by my side through tears and through joy. In the year that you were born she will be 9. It pains me to think that she is old, and if I could thank her for being such a good dog I would. I hope that you can look back and remember her in some way.



Maebe

Maebe was a spry 6 week old kitten when we brought her home. A friend that I worked with found a litter of kittens under her house and brought them into work. They were all pretty cute, but Maebe stuck out because of the orange dot on her head. Your father wasn't a huge cat fan, but I talked him into bringing her home. She won him over quickly and her and Maki really like hanging out. To this day they still snuggle with each other. As far as cats go, she's a good one. She turned 8 this year.



Ricky

Ricky is your father through and through. We rescued him after he was abandoned at another clinic. He is a big tough guy but super sweet. He is goofy and funny and sure thinks you are special. He likes to give you kisses but we have to watch him because he gets very excited and won't stop kissing you. Today you were laying on the bed and he wanted to be touching you so he almost laid on your head. Ricky is five this year, and I think once you start crawling and walking you two will be the best of friends.


Shirley

Shirley is very,...peculiar. I bottle raised her and she turned out a little crazy. She LOVES me, but usually hides under the bed when other people are around or if your dad is home alone. I was worried that she would lose it when you came around, but she has actually become a little nicer. She really likes you and has let you pet her on multiple occasions. Cats tend to live longer than dogs so I have a feeling that you will actually remember Shirley and Maebe more than the pups.


So that's what you are surrounded by. Our house will never be without animals, so I hope that you love them as much as we do. 

No comments:

Post a Comment