Sunday, June 24, 2012

Doctor Visit: One Month Check Up (6/6/12)

It is really weird taking your baby to the doctor. If you don't feel like a parent yet then this will surely do it. You feel all responsible and parent like. You know that your baby is just a blob of people parts that you have been keeping alive, but you hope that your blob is doing better then all of the other blobs. I wanted the doctor to walk in and tell me how awesome I am doing because, wow, your baby is awesome. First the nurse came in and we weighed him. 12lbs 3oz! Nice! My awesome boobs are making awesome milk and my awesome baby is gaining weight. Score! Next they measured his length and his head size. 23 inches. My awesome baby is growing and getting all tall. Yeah! Head size, large. I don't remember the exact measurement, but he is in the 100th percentile. Yay! My baby has a head score of 100 percent! He rocks! Oh, no? 100th percentile isn't good? It means he has a giant head? Whatever, you mean giant brain for all of his smartness! Then the doctor came in and did her check up. She asked how I was doing and I said "GREAT!", then I realized I sounded stupid because there were times when I wasn't doing great and now she thinks I am a liar. She's had kids and she knows that the first month is hard. I'm just used to saying great when people ask me how I am doing because there is no reason to complain. But now I feel stupid. I try to recover, "Well you know, breastfeeding was a whole thing!". Damn! Now she thinks that I don't like breastfeeding. I should shut up now. I then asked some questions about WIll. Is the stuff on his face baby acne? Yes, it shows up around 4-6 weeks and will go away. Is there anything we can do for his gas, he farts a lot. No, it is normal and he will continue to be gassy while his gut develops bacteria and gut stuff (she used medical terms instead of gut stuff.) She also advised that WIll needed to be on an oral vitamin D supplement because he is being breastfed. Turns out breast milk is super awesome except it doesn't contain vitamin D. So now he gets 1ml of Enfamil D-Vi-Sol daily. Once the doctor left the nurse came in to give Will his vaccine. I held his little hand and talked to him while he got it. It was quick and about a second after she gave the shot he scrunched up his cute little face and screamed and cried. Poor baby. He was pretty easy to console though and was asleep by the time we got out to the car. They didn't come right out and say it but I'm sure they all talked about how cool Will was after we left. 

One Month Old


3 comments:

  1. thats funny, I'm sure they are all still talking. Didnt know that about the vitamin D....never did it, hope its not too important and my kids' lives are cut short cause they didnt get everything they needed from the breastmmilk!

    ReplyDelete
  2. sorry above is from Rebekah Ketchens...I know who I am but apparently the blog does not..

    ReplyDelete
  3. Did the doctor seriously tell you that there's no vitamin D in breastmilk???? She is way wrong. http://kellymom.com/nutrition/vitamins/vitamin-d/

    ReplyDelete