Friday, June 15, 2012

My C-Section Experience

I'm writing this because I am hoping that other pregnant women (most of my friends right now) will find it helpful in some way. When I was pregnant I read all of the books and websites on becoming a new parent. When I found out I would be having a c-section I read everything I could about that as well, and don't even get me started on breastfeeding. However, the things that comforted me the most and that I found most helpful were women's blogs. Reading actual experiences, the good and the bad, helped prepare me for what was to come, and what was to follow. For those that know me, I am actually a very private person. I usually don't open up to many about my deep and personal experiences. Having a baby has been the most emotional and intense thing I have ever experienced. I gained comfort from my amazing support system, my husband, family, and friends. But in those moments when I wasn't sure what to do with my feelings or had a question and it was 4 in the morning it was the blogs and forums from real people that got me through. So, because I have always enjoyed writing and with some encouragement from those around me, I give you the Oblong Mom Blog. Because no journey, whether it is parenthood or not, is a perfect circle. This is my c-section experience.

I'll start by saying that I never was a fan of babies. Don't get me wrong, babies are awesome, but they terrified me. I never was the woman who ran over to see the newborn or ask to hold them. And typically anytime I did hold them they would cry and I would panic. They were always so fragile and foreign to me. I was the youngest in my family until my cousin had a baby, then my nephew came along, but we are a small family. Not a lot of babies to practice with. That's not to say that I didn't want kids of my own, it's just that your kids freak me out. When I met Brent I knew we would have our own little awesome family. And when we felt we were ready we planned and made our own baby.

 8 Weeks
40 Weeks

My pregnancy was, dare I say, easy. I felt great during the whole thing, besides the occasional nausea early on and feeling tired. Everything else was great and I loved being pregnant. Even when I found out my baby was going to be a moose, it didn't phase me. When we got towards the end I started preparing for the birth. In my head it would go down like most labor and deliveries do. I would have contractions, we would go to the hospital, I would get drugs, and I would attempt to push out our Weed-baby. For a month before my due date I would make sure the house was always clean, the hospital bag packed, and I would fall asleep hoping to be awoken by contractions. When my due date came, and went, I began to realize that the typical labor experience might not be an option for me. 4 days after my due date we decided, based on his weight and me not progressing, that we would schedule a c-section. It was set. May 1st at 11:30 we would have our baby. 

Having the birth scheduled was an odd feeling. To know that on Tuesday at 11:30 we would be parents was odd. What happened to the labor part? Everyone anxiously waiting but not knowing when he would come? The whole thing was just weird. Most women will hate me for this on some level, but I didn't have ONE painful contraction. Nothing. On Tuesday morning, 9 days past my due date, Brent and I made our way to the hospital. Our c-section was scheduled for 11:30 and we were asked to arrive at 9:30am. We registered at the front desk, then made our way back to be prepped. The rest happened pretty quickly. We were put in a small room and I put on my lovely hospital gown. They asked if I needed to go to the restroom, which I highly recommend doing even if you don't feel the urge right then. You won't get another chance before the c-section do make a poo. Brent was given a white jumpsuit thing, a surgical mask, and hair net to wear during the procedure. My nurse, Brooke, took a quick medical history, hooked me up to some monitors, and started my IV. She was great. I then was given a patch to put on my neck to prevent nausea and had to drink something that neutralized my stomach acid just in case I did vomit during the procedure and inhaled the vomit. Scary thought, I know. The medication is called Bicitra and I later found out that nurses will drink it during their shifts if they have heartburn. It wasn't a large amount, but it tasted AWFUL. I can't stress that enough. So when you drink it do it fast. After Brooke got me prepped I was able to see my doctor. She gave a brief run down of what would happen, all of which I already knew from researching it online. Then the anesthesiologist came in and went over her end. I can't remember her name for the life of me, but she was great. The anesthesiologist will be your best friend if you have a c-section, trust me. If you feel anything weird just tell them and they will fix it with their awesome drugs. Hooray medical science! Brent suited up, and it was time to have a baby. We walked down to the operating room and Brent had to wait in the hall while they gave me my spinal. Walking into an operating room while awake is a trippy feeling. All of the instruments are out, monitors are going, people are scurrying around. There were a lot of people in the room, which I enjoyed. I tried to talk to them all, mostly because I was nervous, but also because I wanted them to like me before they started cutting me open. They do the spinal first. I was more nervous about the spinal than anything. The thought of not being able to move my legs was troubling. They sat me on the edge of the table and had me hunch forward over my belly. My nurse Brooke held me in place and held my hand during, I meant to thank her for that but didn't get the chance. They injected local anesthesia first, which is the only part of the spinal that hurts. It's a sharp quick pain. If you can handle that, which you can, then you are set. They injected the medication and had me lay on my back. The anesthesiologist said that the first 5 minutes after the spinal is given are the worst. If you are going to get nauseous or have any ill effects it will be within the first 5 minutes. When they laid me down I could feel my legs slowly lose feeling. It was slow and tingly, I could feel it spread from my waist down, and by the time I was on my back I couldn't move my legs. I have never wanted to move them more than I did at that moment. I kept taking deep breaths just to relax. If I really thought about moving my legs I would start to panic a little in my head and would have to tell myself to calm down. Luckily I did not become nauseous, but I did get very hot and start sweating. The anesthesiologist gave me an injection of something, I didn't ask nor did I care at that point, and she stood over my and fanned me until I felt better. See what I mean? She was my best friend at the time. I began to feel better immediately. They put in a urinary catheter once I was numb. When they put the drape up Brent was able to come in. I instantly felt better when he sat down with me. This was it, we were about to have a baby. The doctor and nurses commented that if I did have a 9 lb baby in there I was hiding it well, and that they would be surprised if he was really big. I couldn't wait to hear how much he weighed. The doctor told me that she was pinching me and asked if I could feel it. Nothing. So they began. 

I tried to talk to Brent while it was happening. Saying silly things like "Are you ready?", and "We are about to have a baby!". What else do you say when you know your life is about to change forever. We threw in a good amount of "I love you" as well. Then, at 11:36am, he was pulled out of me. Ok, more like ripped and tugged. I of course couldn't feel them cutting me at all, but suddenly they began pulling him out and my whole body was being moved from side to side as they pulled. It was crazy. When the tugging stopped I felt the room go silent. I don't remember if it actually did, but all I was waiting to hear was a cry. I wanted to hear my baby. Then he did, and I cried too. It was an emotional dump. I was smiling and tearing up, then they quickly brought him around the drape for us to see, then whisked him away to be cleaned. What I saw of him was giant and naked and awesome. While I laid there Brent went over to take pictures of him being cleaned up. All of the nurses were commenting on how big he was and how big his head was. Finally I heard it, "he is 9 lbs, 9 oz!". A nurse leaned around the drape and reassured me that a c-section was the way to go. I think after that I kept saying things like "yay c-sections" and "I love c-sections!". I don't know, I was euphoric. Once he was wrapped up Brent was able to bring him over to sit with me. He was perfect. I kissed him and stared and couldn't believe it. Our baby was here. 

May 1st, 2012 11:36am
William Garin


Once I was stitched up, which took about 30 minutes, I was wheeled to recovery. Once again I had to keep telling myself not to try to move my legs, because when I'd try and I couldn't, a little voice in my head would say "freak out!". Don't try to move your legs. I don't remember how long I was in recovery. Brent got to hold William and he looked so perfect doing it. After a few minutes I got to hold him too, which is harder than you would think when you can't move your torso. Brent propped my arm up with some pillows and helped me. Brooke came in to check on us and stop my IV fluids. I was unhooked from monitors and my blood pressure cuff, and she asked if I wanted to breastfeed. Oh crap! It's here, time to feed my baby with my boobs. I told Brooke I would like to try and that I really didn't know what I was doing. Once again, she was great. She helped me unsnap my gown, put him skin to skin, and just like that he was latched on and nursing. And once again, I was in awe. 

When I was done in recovery, I want to say I was in there for 30-45 minutes, but it could have been longer, I was wheeled to my room. Brooke introduced me to my new nurse, Kori, and away she went. There was a flood of visitors after that. My parents, Brent's parents, my grandparents, were all in the room while Will got his first exam. I was still a little out of it, so most of the day was a blur of family members, baby, and breastfeeding. 

The actual hospital stay was the worst. I'll dive into that a little more when I write my next post, but there was no way to sleep for more than an hour or so with the new baby and the nurses coming in to check vitals all of the time. I was miserable. They took out my IV and urinary catheter 12 hours after the c-section, but I still didn't feel right the whole time I was there. I had to keep reminding myself that not only do I have a newborn, I just had major abdominal surgery. Walking, peeing, pooping, everything was a deal. I couldn't wait to get home. And may I recommend to limit visitors while in the hospital. Keep it to immediate family. I was so overwhelmed with my recovery and the baby that I wasn't up for much socializing. Don't forget that you need time to regroup and bond with your new family.

I am sure that there are pros and cons to both a c-section and a vaginal birth. Looking back on my whole experience (and William's head size) I am thankful that I had a c-section. The nurses were great and my baby was delivered quickly and safely. Really, what more could you ask for? 

No comments:

Post a Comment