Thursday, July 12, 2012

A Note to Our Son

William,

Today you are 72 days old.

You arrived on a Tuesday on the first day of May. Since then our lives have been a whirlwind of emotions and diapers. I wanted to take a moment and tell you some things that are happening right now, because one day I won't be able to remember the little things. There will be many more notes that follow.

I love rocking you to sleep. I sit in the glider in your nursery and we snuggle up together. Sometimes you stare into my eyes sleepily and smile. Other times you are overtired and you cry as you fight sleep. Either way I hold you close and rock you until you drift off. Your dad and I call it going to sleepy town. We will talk to you and say "don't miss the train to sleepy town!" or, if you are fighting sleep we say "don't miss your stop at sleepy town, it's a wonderful place to go!" Your dad is quite fond of telling you that you are taking a rocket to sleepy town, because your dad is a space nerd. No matter what mode of transportation, you eventually get there. It's a time of peace and quite around the house. It gives your dad and I time to hang out together while you rest and grow.

When it's time to wake you up and feed you one last time before we sleep your dad rushes over to be the one to do so. He slowly unwraps your blanket, smiling the whole time. You stretch and sleepily open your eyes and your dad's smile grows larger as both of your eyes light up. It's wonderful to watch. When you wake up and see us you smile so big, you're never upset. You start squirming and smiling and my heart about explodes with love.

I love when you make your little noises. You look at us and get all worked up as if you want to talk so badly, then you squeal or say "Ngyu". That's your favorite and ours too. If we repeat the sound back to you you stare in amazement and begin to work on your next sound while you squirm and kick. I can't wait for you to start talking, but I'm sure when that moment comes I will still miss your little noises. Your dad and I talk to you all of the time. Your dad talks about the universe and other science news. I talk to you about things you can be when you grow up and what happened while I was at work or what I am doing at that time. You listen bright eyed, you're always happy when we are talking to you.

Yesterday you grabbed and held onto a toy for the first time. I freaked out about it and yelled at your dad to come see. And last night you slept in your room for 4 hours all by yourself. Your dad and I told you how proud we were of you when we got you up. What a big boy.

We take you for long walks in your stroller on the days that I am off of work. We go around the Seneca loop and you always take a nap while we walk. You seem to enjoy it even though when it is hot out you are a big ball of sweaty baby.

Time has already gone by so fast. On one hand I am eager for you to grow and learn, and on the other I want to hold on to these moments when you let me hold you and kiss you. Everyday you are changing and everyday we are changing too. I'm writing this too you so that I can remember the feelings I had in these fleeting moments and so that you can see how excited and amazed we were as new parents. When you are old enough to read this you will have already learned that life isn't always easy, but I hope you will also have learned that your dad and I are here to support you and love you unconditionally.

Love,
Mom

P.S. You fart a lot. Farts are funny and even though I am an adult and your mother I still laugh at farts. Sometimes I have to leave the room to laugh when you fart in your sleep because I am afraid I will wake you up.



No comments:

Post a Comment